The Monkstone Executive is delighted to announce that we will be able to recommence play, albeit in a limited form, from Sunday 21 March 2021. Pistes will have to be booked and the booking system will be open from Friday 19 March 2021.
Only 2 types of play will be permitted:
- Singles play
- Doubles play between 4 players from a MAXIMUM of 2 households.
Unfortunately we will not be able recommence the Monday & Friday roll-ups for the time being nor will we be able to stage the much delayed 2020 Club Doubles and Xmas Melee.
The situation will be reviewed again at the end of March when it is possible that we will move from Alert Level 4 to Alert Level 3.
# STAY SAFE
The Welsh Government has today announced that Wales will move into Level 4 restrictions on 28 December 2020 which means, as announced earlier by the WPA, that outdoor sports will NOT be permitted. The Monkstone Executive has discussed the wider issues of the increasing level of infections in Wales. Our discussions were informed by the WG advice that we ought to consider what we “SHOULD” do rather than what we “CAN” do and the view that if it was not for the political decision to allow the Christmas break then the science would have said that we move to Level 4 this weekend.
In the light of these discussions, and in my capacity as the MPC Coronavirus Officer, I have taken the following decisions:
- The 2020 Xmas Melee scheduled for this Sunday 20 December 2020 is POSTPONED. A revised date will be scheduled when the restrictions permit.
- Monkstone PC will CLOSE TO ALL ACTIVITIES from Monday 21 December 2020 until such times as the restrictions permit us to reopen.
- It follows that the 2020 Club Doubles, which had already been rearranged once and is currently scheduled for 3 January 2021, is also POSTPONED again until a revised date can be scheduled when the restrictions permit.
These decisions have not been taken lightly but in the best interests of the health and safety of all our members and acknowledging the duty of care we have to our members.
Further updates will be issued as soon as we have any news regarding lifting of Corona virus restrictions.
Finally may I take this opportunity to wish all our members a Happy Christmas and a better 2021.
Bernard Adshead – MPC Coronavirus Officer
# KEEP SAFE
Following today’s announcement by the Welsh Government outlining the rules that will apply when the current lockdown ends at midnight on next Sunday, Monkstone Petanque Club is pleased to confirm that it will reopen on Monday 9 November 2020 with the usual Monday Roll-up.
MPC Coronavirus Officer
In line with the Welsh Government restrictions announced on Monday 19 October 2020, Monkstone Petanque Club will cease all activities from 6pm on Friday 23 October 2020. No pistes can be booked until at least 9 November 2020.
It is hoped that we will be able to reopen on 9 November 2020 but this will depend on the lifting of the restrictions by the Welsh Government.
Keep safe and hopefully we can recommence playing in November.
Bernard Adshead – MPC Coronavirus Officer
Monkstone Petanque Club is encouraging members to participate in the NHS Test Trace Protect project by downloading and using the NHS Covid-19 App to help in the fight to eradicate Covid-19 from the country.
You will see a poster like the one below with a QR code (the large square full of random small black and white squares) on the door of our club house which you should scan each time you visit the Club. We also encourage you to use the process whenever you visit any location displaying a similar poster. When somebody using the App is diagnosed with Covid-19:
- If it is you that tests positive, then everyone who might have been in contact with you, either at the Club or any other location where you have scanned a Venue Poster will be notified by the Test Trace team.
- If it is someone else who tests positive and they have been in contact with you, the Test Trace team will notify you and all other people that they have been in contact with, and all the people that you have been in contact with.
In order to participate in this vital NHS project you will need a fairly modern smartphone and to download the NHS Covid-19 App from Google Play or the App Store. From the options on the App, select “Venue Check-in” and this will open your phone’s camera in the top half of the screen. Point the camera at the QR code (you don’t have to press anything) and when the code is recognised you will get a message confirming that you have registered your visit.
We recognise that not all members will be able to participate but you are urged to join if you can. The more members that join the more effective the project will be.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS NOT A REPLACEMENT FOR THE REQUIREMENT TO BOOK A PISTE BEFORE YOU COME DOWN TO THE CLUB TO PLAY – IT IS A SUPPLEMENT TO THAT PROCESS.
NHS Test Trace Protect
Get the NHS Covid-19 App