Archive for Tony
The annual Monkstone PC Open Triples will take place at the club on Sunday 2 July 2017
The Prize Pot will depend on the number of entries
Entry fee £15 per team
Registration 8:30 – 9:00am
Entries limited to 32 teams
Closing date Friday 30th June
pre entry form which can be accessed by following this link
The WPA will shortly be requesting information from our club regarding the number of teams we intend to enter in the league. So to get the process under way, we need first to ascertain the number of club members who wish to play in the league this season. Knowing the exact number of league players available will be helpful to our League Committee when it meets.
Please do this even if you played in the league last season and have indicated verbally that you intend to play again.
Newer club members might appreciate some background information about the league before replying:
- Last season the league consisted of three divisions made up of 8, 8 and 7 teams. We fielded 5 league teams across the divisions.
- The season runs from April to early September and matches are played on a Wednesday evening, starting by 7.30 at the latest.
- Each league match involves four players on each side playing doubles. All matches are played on a home and away basis.
- A team member should be prepared to commit to playing for their team on a regular basis during the season, allowing for holidays, etc. Team squad numbers vary but each squad should have a minimum of six players.
- If you think you’re not good enough to play in the league, you’re WRONG! You already play against seasoned league players during practice sessions.
- The league is a great way to develop your game, to experience regular competition played in a good spirit and to meet players from other clubs.
If newer members would like further information about the league before replying, just ask me, Mike, Carol, Bernard, Tony or Jim.
Roger Griffin, Secretary.
A big thank you to the 15 teams that turned out for the Open Doubles Championship, which was held in perfect conditions, normally reserved for the Mediterranean region.
After a morning of qualification the top 8 teams won through to the main, while the bottom 7 teams played in the B competition.
The final of the Open Doubles was between Len Fields and Jeremy Claire from Pontyclun PC and Jake Caston and Peter Westall from the Wheatsheaf PC and Wenvoe PC, respectively. Len and Jeremy beat the strong pairing of Phil Bradshaw and Ian Bailey in the semi-final. The pairing of Jake and Peter’s experience finally showed and they won this year’s competition.
The B Competition saw Vickie Adshead and Rose Fiera from Monkstone PC and Julie Bailey and Gay Evans from Monkstone Inn PC. After a a close start, again experience showed and Julie and Gay pulled away to win the competition.
The entry is £5.00 per player.
Pre-registration using the on-line form is required – no entries will be allowed on the day.
Registration will be between 09:00 and 09:30 with play starting no later than 10:00.
Cash prizes (dependant on entry numbers) will be given.
Please bring you own lunch, there are numerous food outlets with 1 mile of the club.
The following teams have entered our open triples competition on 29th May – come on let’s break a record and get 32 teams.
|Team||Player 1||Player 2|
|SOB||Richard Harrris||Tansy Mayfield|
|LYPE||Peter Payne||Lynda Hodges|
|Griffithstown Gladiators||Hugh Morris||Matthew Morris|
|The Winners||Tania Howard||Kay Brussalis-Davies|
|Ghent Girls||Gemma Foster||Gay Murphy|
|The Wheelers||Ian Wheeler||Kiwi|
|The CJs||John Barnes||Carol Maroney|
|Myopic||Bernard Adshead||MIke Wigg|
|V&I||Vickie Adshead||Ian Baildon-Smith|
|Jan & Sheila||Janet Price||Sheila Jones|
|D&D||Dai Cannan||Dan Murphy|
|Wenvoe Raiders||Mike Jacques||Ken Aston|
|The Unforgiven||Paul Milton||Heather MIlton|
|Need The Practice||Peter Kensett||John Maroney|
|NottsoGood||Keith Nott||Jim Harrison|
|Plain and Simple||Gill Clark||Phil Rogers|
|TJ||Tony Smith||Jean-Yves Robic|
|Uskies||Marilyn Strangemore||Richard Strangemore|
|Matandandy||Andy Pook||Matthew Howells|
|Miro Surrealists||Mike Jones||Roger Green|
|East n West||Phil Bradshaw||Nai Konchung|
|Commandoes||Jeremy Clare||Len Field|
|24th Team||This could be you!|
|The Dam Busters||David Elston||Kevin Edeards|